The International Society of Gender Medicine
Current Board Members:
Prof. Marek Glezerman, Israel
Prof. Marianne Legato, USA
Prof. Maria Grazia Modena, Italy
Prof. Vera Regitz-Zagrosek, Germany - President
Prof. Karin Schenck-Gustafsson, Sweden – Immediate Past President
Prof. Jeanette Strametz-Juranek, Austria
The International Society of Gender Medicine (IGM) is an umbrella organization for national societies devoted to gender medicine worldwide. IGM was founded 2006 as international, multidisciplinary, scientific organization with the purpose to develop gender medicine in an international context by promoting gender aspects in science, research and public health. This is based on the insight that women may present with other medical complaints than men, may react differently on medical therapy, and cope differently with diseases. Therefore, the society aims to:
1. Advance the understanding of sex/gender differences by bringing together scientists and clinicians of
2. Implement gender in the medical curriculum, prepare and allocate gender-specific learning materials,
curricula and gender trainings for instructors.
3. Promote gender-specific public health issues such as information for persons, institutions and
organizations in the area of gender medicine.
4. Facilitate interdisciplinary research on sex/gender differences in basic and clinical frameworks.
5. Encourage the application of new knowledge of sex/gender differences to improve health and health care.
6. Cooperate with other national and international societies of gender medicine and similar scientific
7. Encourage and support the creation of national organizations dedicated to the promotion of sex / gender
8. Encourage and support international cooperation, collaboration and education among professionals
working in the field sex/gender specific medicine.
9. Organize international meetings and congresses on relevant topics.
10. Publish position papers and guidelines.